Friday, October 27, 2006

Where did it all go wrong?

What do you know, I was right.

A little chat with the editor yesterday afternoon revealed that there will be no increase in the Groanin' Jock wage packet this month.

The reason? The company directors have all been on holiday this month and didn't approve the recommended rise in time.

I have been promised a back-dated rise in next month's pay, but I won't be expecting much.

To add insult to injury, the weather in Argyll at the moment is horrendous, gale force winds forcing the torrential rain directly into your face.

And Mrs Wife is ill, just as we were readying ourselves for a weekend of drunken debauchery in Glasgow.

I need a holiday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like typical big company - bigwigs on "holiday", forget to okay people's wage increases, adn you all stuck in some dreary place where the weather is not nice. Is there enoughthere to drink to even forget any of this for a night?

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Well hopefully you will get a raise!

Phil said...

Jock- Good luck with the pay next month. Hmmm...torrential rain and winds? I'd swear I'm in the U.S., but I seem to have your weather. If Mrs. Jock is ill just fill her with NyQuil and a weekend of drunken debauchery can still be had. You'll still be awake and she won't remember a thing. Say, does your editor need a correspondent from the States?

mirk said...

NO! No! No! don't go to Glasgow! Get an ice-cream from Thorntons ( rum & raisin) cross the road, sit on the seawall and watch the world go by. Much more entertaining.

Then again if I am mistaken and you are not in Oban none of this will make any sense.

My last comment seems to have gone I hope it got through!

Erica said...

.. sheesh ..

I believe the appropriate response to that is 'blimey.' On all counts, you have my sincerest sympathies, as I could relate to most of them ...

Unfortunately, however, I wasn't readying myself for a weekend of drunken debauchery in Glasgow, only because there was no increase in the Erica's Blog wage packet this month (or the month before, or the one before that, and so on...)

Groanin' Jock said...

Ralph - managed to get drunk enough and have enough fun to forget the money misery for a couple of nights, but I may have dented my credit card in the process!

Blue - Yeah, here's hoping!

Phil - Mrs Wife made it through the weekend un-drugged. As for you wanting to be a US correspondent, what do you know about the west highlands of Scotland?

Mirk - I don't live in Oban any more, but can think of no more miserable place to be during a gale and torrential rain than the sea front in Oban!

Erica - Thanks for the sympathy - I've calmed down now!