Monday, October 16, 2006

The sky's the limit

Finally, the news I've been waiting for for more than 20 years - the world's first flying car has been put up for auction on Ebay.

Designed by Moller, a working protoype of the M400X has been put up for sale. Bidding ends on Thursday, with the winner taking home a four-seat cruiser with eight engines, a top speed of 375mph - and cup holders.

Quite what anyone would be able to drink at 375mph I don't know, but it's a nice touch.

Moller expects that within ten years, 25 per cent of the US population will have accesss to a Skycar, rising to 90 per cent within 25 years.

The car is apparently a combination of a helicopter, a jet plane and a mid-range car - a flying Ford Mondeo if you like.

Except I've never seen a Mondeo sell for four million dollars - the expected selling price of the prototype.

My boyhood fascination with all things sci-fi means this is a dream come true, that sizeable pricetag notwithstanding.

The fact that it looks like one of the pod racers from Star Wars Episode One make it all the better.

A Skycar would certainly make my frequent jaunts to Glasgow a few hours shorter, but unfortunately they don't come with in-built CD players or much boot space.

Still, if anyone's feeling generous, or if I ever win that elusive EuroMillions lottery draw, I'll get my hands on a Skycar.

Bet it would be quite pricy to insure though.

3 comments:

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

The way people drive arouond here I would not want to see them flying something.

mirk said...

Dear Santa for Christmas I would like.... anyway I was going to say did they not have one of those flying cars on Blue Peter 30 years ago ?? Then I clicked and... err no!

It does look good for sticky backed plastic and toilet rolls though.

Groanin' Jock said...

Charlie - You're not suggesting that your fellow Clydesiders are dishonest are you? At least there are no alloy wheels to nick off it!

Blue - That's a good point - you should see the driving in Argyll - although at four million dollars a car, at least there won't be too many boyracers driving skycars.

Mirk - Four million dollars worth of sticky backed plastic and toilet rolls - extravagant even for Mark Curry and Yvette Fielding!