Monday, January 08, 2007

Clean(ing) break

It may come as a surprise to you that I am not the tidiest of creatures.

Don't get me wrong, I abhor an untidy living space, but I am also chronically lazy. After the working day is done, I like nothing more than to stretch out on the sofa with my laptop on my lap, the TV and surround sound system cranked up, and a bottle of Coke and a bar of chocolate at my side.

And when I am in this state of repose, all thoughts of cleaning and tidying Groanin' Towers evaporates from my mind.

Now that Mrs Wife has departed for pastures new (or Angus at least), I am to be left to my own devices for the best part of a month. Under normal circumstances, the sitting room would quickly be enveloped by a blanket of magazines, books, CDs, DVDs, PlayStation games and the like.

But as we are attempting to sell the property, and could be visited by a potential purchaser at any point, I have to struggle to maintain some semblance of tidiness throughout the house.

I didn't realise just how untidy I am until yesterday, when we finally had it looking spotless. Just living in a house for one afternoon and evening served up ample opportunity for me to make a mess. Cooking dinner, having a shower, getting dressed - all of these activities offered up fresh debris which would normally be left where it landed.

But, one day into the challenge, I am persevering - Groanin' Towers retains that sheen of spit and polish (not literally, I am not prone to spitting whilst indoors).

But can I maintain this false state of affairs for the next few weeks?

1 comment:

Pepper said...

Just try your best that's all I can ask!!