Friday, July 20, 2007

Quick-beaked Thief

It seems my good friend The Tomahawk Kid is ahead of the game.

Yesterday, he reported that he was witness to a robbery at a newsagent in Aberdeen city centre.

A daring seagull has become adept at sneaking into a branch of RS McColl's and pinching packets of crisps straight off the shelves.

Today, the story is featured in The Daily Record and on the BBC News website.

I hate seagulls. I've got a phobia of birds, but I especially hate birds that aren't afraid of humans, and who associate them with food, such as seagulls, pigeons and chickens.

Seagulls really are awful. Montrose is plagued by them, swooping down to steal food practically from people's hands and raking through bins in the search for food.

It strikes me that a seagull's life can't be overly fulfilling. Wake up at 5am, make a hell of a racket, rummage through some bins, try not to get hit by cars.

I think I dislike seagulls more than pigeons because they seem to have a bit of cunning about them, whereas pigeons just look and act dopey.

But if we're now at the stage where seagulls are stealing from shops, I think we should be worried. Maybe Alfred Hitchcock was right after all....

4 comments:

BobG said...

To our everlasting shame, our state bird in Utah is the California Gull; as far as I am concerned sea gulls are nothing but rats with wings.

Laura said...

i actually like seagulls

i thought it was quite funny when i saw it on the news :)

Unknown said...

What about that Jock? The Tomahawk Kid in tune with the zeitgeist eh?

mirk said...

You probably won't remember about my honesty box problem,! and the human variety of thief! That particular problem has now been solved.

BUT I now have new thieves!! da da da crows they now enter establishment/building, open and steal my produce within.. you just can't win :(