Thursday, July 26, 2007

American (Steak) Pie

Those of you familiar with Eric's writings will be aware of his love of food.

And it seems that the Straight White Chef is now turning his hand to steak pie, as revered by all true Scots as being amongst the king of foods.

Ever since I can remember, steak pie has been amongst my favourite dishes. There may not be many Michelin-rated restaurants with steak pie on their menus, but it really is the ultimate in simple, hearty, filling fare.

My maternal grandmother made the best steak pie I've ever tasted, always served with perfectly-roasted potatoes and vegetables. She may not be a professional chef, but I'd have taken her steak pie over any meal in any restaurant in the world. Ideally, her steak pie would be followed by a tray of her rock cakes and some of her home-made toffee as well.

I've yet to hear whether Eric's filo-topped effort was a dish fit for a king or a dish fit for the bin. But throwing mushrooms into the gravy? That's just WRONG.....

6 comments:

Erica said...

Yes, I heartily agree...

"Mushrooms -- Wrong for Steak Pies, Wrong for America (and Scotland too, I suppose)."

It must be a hillbilly thing.

Groanin' Jock said...

I've got nothing against mushrooms as such - but sullying a steak pie with them? People have been hanged for less.

And don't get me started on steak and kidney pie....

the tomahawk kid said...

I don't care if its got mushrooms in or not. Just gimme the frickin' pie!!

Anonymous said...

.. in short, it rocked.....photos will be up this evening... oh yeah...

Eric

mirk said...

Ahhhh now I know who ate all the pies!

Unknown said...

I'm hungry all of a sudden!