Thursday, July 05, 2007

Public Transport Problems

Public transport in Scotland is useless.

This weekend, Mrs Wife and I are visiting her parents in Oban. Our visit will also include a spot of dog sitting, which begins for Mrs Wife tonight. Therefore, she is driving through to Oban after work this afternoon.

Meanwhile, I am working tomorrow. Rather than take two cars to Oban, and then have to bring both of them back to Angus, I thought I could get a train or bus.

But I can't. There is no way I can make it from Aberdeen to Glasgow in time to catch the last train to Oban on Friday night, as it leaves Queen Street Station at 6pm. Even supposing I could work through my lunch hour and leave an hour early (at 3:30pm), I still couldn't get to Glasgow by train in two and a half hours.

The only other option would be a bus - but in a remarkable stroke of genius, the last bus from Glasgow to Oban also leaves at 6pm. There is a bus from Dundee, but it leaves at 4.15pm, so I'd be struggling to make that, even if I left Aberdeen at 3:30pm.

If the government is really serious about tackling climate change and reducing congestion on our roads, public transportation in this country needs to be drastically improved. How can it take longer to travel by train from Aberdeen to Glasgow than it takes to drive the same route? And why, if you work normal hours, are you unable to finish work and then take public transport to Oban, one of the country's favourite holiday destinations?

As for the cost of travelling by public transport: it is cheaper for me to drive to work every day than it is to get the train, even with a year-long railcard.

I have travelled through some supposed third world countries that have better, cheaper and more efficient public transport systems than Britain. In the 21st century, that amounts to a hilariously unfunny joke.

3 comments:

mirk said...

Spot on Jock it's appalling!!

Never mind trying to get somewhere after work it can be impossible to get to work on time as well and as you point out the cost is horrendous.

Not only does it discourage people to be environmentally friendly it can also put people off finding employment, especially in rural areas. The cost of getting there is prohibitive so you need a car which is also costly and getting more so by the day. Guess who it always hits the hardest as usual the poorest in our society.

But life is fine and dandy for the rich who will not be priced out off work or out off their cars.

I would hate to think how we would manage without a car and although we are rural it's not the back of beyond. Makes my blood boil!!

the tomahawk kid said...

It's that bloody single track road again...

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Except for major cities like Houston most public transportation is also useless in the US.