Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Indecision is a terrible thing - I think....

This morning, as I ventured south down the Kintyre peninsula, the rain was absolutely leathering down. I don't just mean a little downpour - I mean a solid wall of water.

Only twice in my life have I experienced rain like that - once in Vietnam and once in Singapore, both during monsoon season.

It is quite frightening to be hurtling down a narrow coastal road at 70 miles per hour, unable to see anything because the windscreen wipers on your little Peugeout van simply can't compete with the deluge. Thankfully, wheels remained on asphalt and I was able to continue onwards to Campbeltown.

And now, the sun is beating down, the sky is blue and the birds a'twittering all around. The great Argyll monsoon of 9am has passed without incident, and all is right again in this remote corner of Scotland.

I'm not averse to rain, especially heavy rain. Some of the most enjoyable games of football in which I have played have taken place in conditions so wet that flippers would have been more sensible footwear than boots. There is no feeling like performing a 10-yard sliding tackle through the puddles and sending your opposing number skidding through the mud on his face.

And I'm also quite partial to the sunshine - I love being able to wear shorts for months on end, the heat of the sun on my skin and having an excuse to eat ice cream several times a day. Playing football is also greatly enjoyable in the blazing sun, when the ball rolls and bounces as it should, not simply at the whim of the weather.

But both torrential rain and glorious sunshine on the same day - that's just wrong. A day should set out its stall as soon as the sun rises, so that you know what you're dealing with from beginning to end. I am now dressed in a dark, long-sleeved shirt for the remainder of today's hours at the coalface, which now makes me feel ludicrously over-dressed for the weather.

And no doubt, by the time I clock off, the sun will have dipped behind a hill or cloud, it will be raining and I won't get to eat any ice cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

... dude... seriously.... please drop the blue highlights... they are making me want to slamdrink tequila....

Eric

Groanin' Jock said...

Is the yellow any better Eric?