Monday, November 13, 2006

A monumental quest

Last night, Mrs Wife, Mither and I settled down to watch the second installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Two Towers.

Channel 4 was showing the film, but being clever, we decided to watch it on DVD instead, thinking that our viewing would be unsullied by adverting breaks and that we'd get the benefit of surround sound.

Whilst both these facts are true, what we forgot to take into account is that the DVD version is extended. It takes almost FOUR HOURS to watch this movie. That's half a working day.

The films are cinematic masterpieces, there can be no doubt of that. But at a combined length of something approaching 15 hours, they do require stamina if you're going to sit and watch them.

Which is why, at work today, I am bleary-eyed. Mrs Wife and I had harboured ambitions of watching the three back-to-back, a feat I previously managed with the original Star Wars trilogy.

I think, though, that those plans have now been shelved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The X-Men trilogy is watchable in one go, but they are far better than Star Wars and Lord of the Rings trilogies. (I suspect that contraversial comment could start a debate)

Groanin' Jock said...

That is a frankly ridiculous statement Razor. In film trilogies, X-Men falls WAY behind Star Wars, LOTR, Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, The Godfather and Alien (which is now a quadrilogy, but hey, who's counting?)

Anonymous said...

I disagree, Back to The Future is close and I've never seen the Godfather trilogy (yes I know thats ridiculous and shocking) but the X-Men trilogy is da bomb!

NotCarrie said...

I've never seen those movies. I'd like to do a marathon of Harry Potter, though;)