Thursday, February 21, 2008

Changing Times

Just as all good things must come to an end, so must all semi-good things.

After a fortnight away from the office, I have returned, the bandages removed from my toes and my butchered feet confined within shoes for the first time since they were sliced and diced by the surgeon's skilled hands.

Undertaking the morning commute for the first time in two weeks meant getting up at 6.15am.
I've said it before, but 6.15am is an ungodly hour to be up and about, even for those of us who don't believe in God.

I mean, Sweet Jesus (hmmm, I should probably rethink my choice of exclamations if I don't believe in God), why do we force ourselves to get up and commute to work when it's still dark?
Wouldn't life be so much easier if we just had a four-hour working day? No early morning or early evening travelling, no waking up long before the cocks have crowed, and no more forcing ourselves to stay awake at our desks.

A four-hour working day without a break. 11am until 3pm. Batter through the work in the time it should really take and be home or in the pub by 5pm.

Well, when I'm Supreme Uber-Leader and Commander of All Earth, that'll be the new rule. Prepare yourselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Searching

Not in the sky
the stars
Not in the fingers of frost
or a leaf
or a sunbeam
Not in all their beauty
and beauty it surely is
can I ever prove you, God.

In a friend’s smile
a child’s laugh
an old man’s tears
I get nearer
but never near enough.

Ah God,
can I ever know –
ever be sure?
I think not.

Prayer, ideas, words,
these help to draw you closer;
it isn’t with the unreal
that I talk in the darkness
and walk in the light.

I jumped – and landed
in your country
your way of seeing
of touching
a long time back;
and despite the mind’s questioning
I am still here
found
and yet still searching.

Ruth Burgess

NWM

Misssy M said...

That's exactly what I do. Go in for 9.30 and batter on through til 3 with no break. I am starving by 3 but I figure an unpaid lunchtime is a waste of my time.

It's one of the reasons I switched to being a freelancer.

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Good to see you are driving again!


I hate driving to work. That is why I am looking for an apartment that is walking distance from my new job.

Harley said...

Yeowch!

Happy belated valentine's Day jockster, here's too happy lovin'!

xxx