Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sour

Aberdeen music and arts venue The Lemon Tree is to close down, having gone into liquidation.

For any music fans in the north east, that will be devastating news. The venue was the best (only?) middle-sized venue in the area, and regularly hosted three or four gigs in a week.

Driveblind's last Aberdeen gig before they jetted off to LA was at The Lemon Tree, and the last time I saw The Cooper Temple Clause before they split, it was at a fantastic intimate Lemon Tree gig.

Now, Aberdeen's music fans will be left with only the Music Hall and the AECC to choose from - both too big for smaller acts.

Hopefully, some kind of rescue package will come together, otherwise there will be a gaping hole in the Aberdeen gigs calendar.

5 comments:

neepheid said...

Now, Aberdeen's music fans will be left with only the Music Hall and the AECC to choose from - both too big for smaller acts.

Moshulu? The Tunnels? Cafe Drummond?

Groanin' Jock said...

All good venues, but in my opinion not ideal for medium-sized touring bands.

Misssy M said...

Soooo sad and I too hope for some kind of reprieve. Clearly the council grant isn't enough and I for one think they should review the grant and give it a hike. The Scottish Arts Council should also throw some more money in. take some off the over subsidised Central Belt arts and give it to us!

The LT is an important venue for Aberdeen. How can it go under and the flipping dog's arse Arts centre survives? Skew wiff, that.

My first ever job was Lemon Tree Box Office for two years. that was when it first opened. I have so many happy memories and made some real lasting friendships there.

It can't be allowed to go under.

Misssy M said...

If you want to help save The Lemon Tree you can donate here. Think of it as just buying a ticket and donate accordingly:

http://www.savethelemontree.org/index.php?pid=1

Unknown said...

I've never been to the Lemontree but I have heard the name so many times. I'm always sad to hear of the demise of a music venue. The Brewhouse in Glasgow was great. I had the privelege of performing there myself on about half a dozen occasions. Once a great music venue oozing atmosphere, now a 'sports pub' called the Rat and Carrot last I heard.
I'll donate to the Lemontree fund. Keep music live is what I say!