Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Brussels Out

In the past few weeks, I've been taking sporadic stick from several of my acquaintances on account of my plans for New Year.

The reason for these jibes is that Mrs Wife and I will spend the last few days of 2007 and the opening few of 2008 in Brussels.

Faced with the options of Montrose, Brechin, Oban and Edinburgh, none of which were met with great enthusiasm, we decided to look beyond Scotland's border for suitable alternatives.

We briefly toyed with the idea of a cruise to the Low Countries, but the prospect of spending two days on a boat with some geriatrics didn't overly fill us with excitement.

Consideration was also given to a package holiday, basking in the sun in some Mediterranean resort, with only the all-inclusive bar and a pile of paperbacks for company.

But instead, after a bit of hunting around and a cobbled-together plan of action, we settled on Brussels, for no better reason than it's not in Scotland.

Since then, when I've relayed these plans to friends, several have started laughing, with comments generally taking a form along the lines of: "Oh yes, the party-hard Belgians, renowned worldwide for their Hogmanay celebrations!"

Frankly, I don't care. A strange city, home to more than 400 varieties of strong beer and probably as many exciting strains of the world's best chocolate sounds as good a place as any to see in the New Year.

But now, in keeping with the spirit of my friends' mickey-taking, I challenge you, dear readers, to name ten famous Belgians. Off the top of my head, I can only really think of Jean-Claude Van Damme and Poirot, who doesn't count because he's not real. Professional footballers don't count either, because none of them are truly famous in the real sense of the word (apologies to Messrs Buffel, Valgaeren, Degryse and Albert). Good luck, and no using Google or Wikipedia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

... duuuude, I was just there.... and regardless of what people think, it is actually a very cool place.... you guys will definitely enjoy it.... down a subite mort for me!....

Misssy M said...

I haven't spent a whole lot of quality time in Belgium (sleeping in the tramp filled station at Liege doesn't count) but my parents have loads of Belgian friends and go there a lot (Dad's in a band)so I have met a lot of Belgians in my time. None of them famous, so I can't win the competition.

Two things always strike me about the Belgians; they are not terribly easy on the eye and they can drink just about every other nationality under the table (except the Finns- they win supreme - on both counts).

I think a city break for New Year is an excellent idea.

Colin Campbell said...

Was Tin Tin Belgian? I have only been to Belgium once in a stopover on a flight from the US. I had four hours early in the morning, so I hopped into town and had a look around. My brother used to like to go on beer weekends to Belgium, so I am sure you will have a good time. Me I will be hanging out by the pool. We are just moving and will have no need to leave town. We have a house to organise.

Groanin' Jock said...

Well, that seems to be a unanimous thumbs up for New Year in Belgium. Colin - I've spent one New Year by the pool in Australia, and it's a strange experience, although not as strange as Xmas dinner in 40 degrees heat, keeping your feet cool in the pool whilst you eat.

Anonymous said...

For the past 10 years or so I have been visiting Belgium after going over on an exchange trip while I was younger. Although Brussels aint my fave part of the country I am sure you will have a great time. I mean what more do you want Great Beer and Great Chocolate. Have an ace time and look forward to hearing about it on your blog!