Friday, April 04, 2008

Hell For Leather, Lathered, Drunk, I'm Soused, I'm Pissed, I'm Sunk

I'm four days short of completing my 28th journey around the sun, and to commemorate this inauspicious occasion, a great part of this weekend will be spent in a drunken stupor.

It seems curious that, as I've progressed in age and in weight, my capacity to handle alcohol has dimished almost in direct proportion.

As 17-year-olds, my friends and I would think nothing of drinking a half bottle of vodka each BEFORE going out to the pubs. And then feeling full, fit and mad for it again on Sunday morning, right and ready enough to tackle a game of football.

But, as a 28-year-old weighing two stone more than I did at my fighting weight, it takes substantially less alcohol to send me on the slippery slope to drunkenness and hangover hell.

I'm at a loss as to the reasons for this. I can't now imagine starting a night out with a couple of beers, finishing the best part of a half bottle of vodka and then spending four hours in the pub drinking more vodka. But surely, as I age, my body should be more tolerant of the punishment I inflict upon it?

Anyway, the amount of drink I can handle is beside the point. This weekend, a sociable meal at Roo's Leap in Montrose will be followed by several hours of carnage in Montrose's pubs, with several members of the party new to the excitement of drinking in the town of Gable Enders.

I may report back. If I'm able to write and able to remember what happened.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Well, you have a wonderful time, and I do know what you mean about not being able to revel the way we were once able to; I barely even get soused anymore, partially because I'm afraid of the hangover the next morning. When did I become such a wuss?

A very happy boitday to one of the few peeps on my blogroll who is younger than me. BTW, the word verification for this comment says: "ahuunnk," which is...somewhat fitting, non?

Anonymous said...

... happy birthday!.... and hey, enjoy Roos Leap... it miss those Monster Bob burgers bigtime...

Eric

BobG said...

Hope you have a good birthday. I don't remember my 28th birthday. Come to think of it, I was 28 when you were born, which really makes me feel old now...

mirk said...

Jock MY boy not literally of cours...... well you never know.... welcome to the club :( The trouble comes when you think hmm they look far to young to be in here!

AWWW sh** party hardy dude and happy -9 conception day and iffffs I havess got that wrong I is pashed tooo!

Glad I did not miss this HAPPY BIRTHDAY bud.

Tommy said...

A very happy birthday....and I gotta sympathize...the 21 year old me would be very disappointed with the 31 year old me....that young bastard never even got a hangover. Now I carry them around piggy-back style for a day or two.

That ain't right.

Groanin' Jock said...

Thank you all for your best wishes. I survived (barely) and will be able to tell the tale properly once I've slept....