Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hot Shot Hamish

I'm a bit sore today - our office football team played an 11-a-side match yesterday morning, with yours truly turning out in central midfield.

We only had 11 players, so everyone was forced to play the full 90 minutes. With the wind at our backs in the second half, we took a two-goal lead, both of them coming from my cultured right boot.

The first was a goal that, if David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo or Steven Gerrard had scored it, would be repeated ad nausem. Receiving the ball on the edge of the centre circle, I spotted the goalkeeper off his line and sent the ball over his head from somewhere between 40 and 50 yards.

My second was popped into the top corner from the edge of the box, and was captured on camera by Mrs Wife - I'm the blue-shirted player to the left of the defender on the ground:


But with the wind in our faces in the second half, we were unable to capitalise further and ended up losing 4-2.

And now my legs are stiff, my neck is sore and my right foot is swollen from a clash of studs near the end of the match.

But if Fergie needs someone to replace the suspended Darren Fletcher for the Champions League final, I think I should just about be fit. When was the last time Park Ji Sung scored from 40 yards?

No comments: