Friday, June 12, 2009

Best of British

Xfm has published its list of the 100 greatest British songs.
 
Before I start on a rant, I acknowledge that all such lists are entirely subjective and essentially pointless.
 
But I'm a man, I'm a geek, I'm a lover of lists and I'm a music snob.
 
So, to the list. Oasis take the top three spots, perhaps giving an indication as to the voters' demographic.
 
The Beatles don't feature until number 18, and then with Hey Jude.
 
They don't feature again until number 31, with Come Together.
 
Feeder and Snow Patrol both feature. Queen don't. (I'm no fan of Queen, but I would have thought Bohemian Rhapsody might have made the list).
 
Should The Jimi Hendrix Experience feature, given that two thirds of their members were British?
 
I realise that by even commenting on the list, I'm validating it. But it all just seems so wrong.
 
Incidentally, here's my Top Ten:
 
1. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
 
2. Here It Comes - Doves
 
3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
 
4. 20th Century Boy - T.Rex
 
5. Paranoid Android - Radiohead
 
6. Made of Stone - The Stone Roses
 
7. All You Need Is Love - The Beatles
 
8. Supersonic - Oasis
 
9. The Devil Walks In The Sand - The Cooper Temple Clause
 
10. The White Room - Cream
 
So, having found fault with the inclusion of Feeder and Snow Patrol in the list, I stick Doves, T.Rex and The Cooper Temple Clause in the Top Ten. But that's because I'm right.

5 comments:

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I think list are silly. Unless it is the grocery list.

Anonymous said...

For anyone to claim that the Verve's Drugs Don't Work is in the top 100 British songs ever they have to be having a laugh.

No Free and All Right Now?

No Van Morrison?

and who are Muse?

Pish.

Groanin' Jock said...

You're showing your age Rab ;-)

I'd have put The Drugs Don't Work in my list of the top 100 British songs without a doubt.

Muse are one of the biggest bands on the planet now, with a phenomenally talented musician in Matt Bellamy at the helm. Knights of Cydonia definitely warrants a mention in the list, and I'd be surprised if any rock fans of your vintage didn't like it - I bet The Tomahawk Kid does.... :-)

Anonymous said...

..... as long as I live, I will never fully understand your love for the Beatles.......... even if I lived a thousand years.........

Eric

Groanin' Jock said...

...And I'll never fully understand people who don't love The Beatles...