Monday, June 25, 2007

Makes You Think


Well ladies and gentlemen, and those of you who are neither, I feel humbled today.

Tish from The Kat House has awarded yours truly a Thinking Blogger Award. Now, whether or not I am a thinking blogger is a matter for debate, but I thank Tish for taking the time to stop by at this far-flung outpost of the worldwide interweb. If posting about WWF wrestlers from the 1980s and what can be found beneath a Scotsman's kilt gives people food for thought, who am I to argue?

In keeping with the spirit of the awards, I've now been asked to nominate five bloggers who make me think. In all honesty, any one of the sites listed down the right hand side of this page would be a worthy winner, but for now I'll pick five of them.

1: Straight White Guy - Well, it's only fair that I start with my own Blogfather. Whether describing his baffling fear of horror movies or his days spent engaging in squirrel sex voyeurism, life's never dull at Eric's page. A veteran of the US Marine Corps who loves the poetry of Robert Service, the music of Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Uisge-Beath of Scotland, Eric has rightfully spawned a whole family of blogsons and blogdaughters. After checking out whatever he's ranting about today (steak blowjobs and scary movies the last time I checked), I recommend you read this post on brotherhood.

2: Erica's Blog - As I've said before, Erica is my favourite Jewish Brooklyn wiseass nice Jooish girl. To be honest, aside from a hastily-forgotten (and compulsory) Religious Studies class at school when I was 13, practically everything I know about Judaism, I've learnt from Erica and Elisson. But when she's not using terms I don't understand like Aleph-Beis and Bircas Ha’Mazon, Erica can be found waxing lyrical about Brooklyn and Coney Island, why pizza delivery boys are assholes and why death sucks. How she finds time for a life and job as well, I'll never know.

3: Or So I Thought - If I had more time, and if I took more time to write my posts, I'd like my blog to be like Ian's. Every post is a well-structured, cohesive story, both thoughtful and incisive. Ian has a gift that few writers possess, in that whatever he chooses to write about, his posts are never dull. I especially liked this post-Father's Day offering.

4: Walrilla's Wonderings - When you read that someone has had a leg amputated, you could be forgiven for thinking that their blog might become a place to share in their pain, suffering and misery. But at Walrilla's site, nothing could be further from the truth. It takes a special kind of person to lose a limb and still see the funny side. Nonetheless, this post about thinking before you speak really struck a chord with me.

5: Songs of a Sons Lover - I've only recently started reading Big Rab's work, thanks to our mutual friend The Tomahawk Kid, but I'm now a daily visitor to his site. As the title suggests, music is a common theme, with recent posts covering Van Morrison and Nina Simone. The "Sons lover" aspect comes from a passion for Dumbarton Football Club - well, we've all got our cross to bear. And speaking of crosses, my favourite recent post explored the themes covered in Richard Dawkins's The God Delusion. A debate which has now, bizarrely, moved into a critique of Jethro Tull, the Sex Pistols and The Clash.

So, now that these five fine writers have been lauded for their contribution to the Blogosphere, it's their turn to pass on the torch. Yep, even you Eric, owner of the blog "where memes come to die".

10 comments:

Groanin' Jock said...

I forgot to link to the original post that started this all off:

http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/02/thinking-blogger-awards_11.html

Erica said...

Oh, my word, you are so awesome...thank you! I'm so behind with blogs and blogging (and have already been tagged with the Thinking Blogger Award, but I will definitely try to address this during the week.

Anonymous said...

.... BAD Blogson!.... while I thank you for the award, I must reiterate that tagging 'daddy' is not nice behaviour...

... I am humbled... thank you...

Eric

Tish said...

Mark, you are very deserving of the award, and I was very honored to present it to you! :) I'll check out these blogs that you have awarded.

Btw, I'll find that song and send it to you. :)

Chickie Carmarthen said...

Who would pay to see "Daddy" spank "son"??? I'd throw a couple of paypal dollars in to see a film of that but only if you wore the kilt...ha ha ha...

Ian Lidster said...

I am very flattered you chose me for this award, and even more flattered by your kind words. Actually, I got this one a while back so I guess I won't impose myself on people for a second time. I thoroughly like your blog, as well, and you would certainly be one I'd choose if I was having another go-round with this.
Cheers,
Ian

Groanin' Jock said...

Chickie, I think more people would pay NOT to see that movie....you are one sick lady!

bigrab said...

Jock, thanks for the mention of Songs of a Sons Lover. Keep up the good work, I'll be back!

NotCarrie said...

Oh what fun! Now there's new stuff for me to check out, awesome.

Walrilla said...

Well, shucks! I thank you kindly, good sir. I really appreciate the nomination. It always gives me a rush to hear that someone has read something I wrote(a miracle in itself), and liked it enough to actually stop and think about what was said. I read your posts and imagine what it would be like to finally visit Scotland, England, and Ireland, and if and when I do, locating you and buying you a pint or ten. Even though my ancestors didn't come from there, I've always felt a great affinity for the Scots. And for the Scotch.

I was tagged with this one some time ago, so I'll not impose on anyone again, but I hope you do realize how honored, and humbled, I feel.

Again, thank you, and as I said the first time nominated, everyone on my blogroll makes me think, and you, sir, definitely deserve a spot there.

Walrilla